Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Bánh mì detour


I was planning on trying Tam Deli on Monday because I had 2 hours to kill before a staff meeting but the meeting ended up getting cancelled.  It is just far enough to be too far for my lunch break, and I never want to make the trek all the up north on the weekends because I have to do it M-F.  So today I decided to go a bit out of my way and grab a banh mi and some spring rolls for dinner.  Tam Deli was closed!  Ahh!  I have heard about another spot up north that serves good banh mi so I took out the trusty google maps and searched.  Turns out Thanh Nhi was only a bit farther north. Yay!


I got the combination pork bahn mi and the pork sausage spring rolls with a fried dough cigar and mint.  Best spring rolls I have ever had.  The picture does not do it justice- the crunchy fried dough in the middle was amazing, mixed with the salty pork, crisp veggies and chewy wrapper- it was perfectly balanced.  I enjoyed the banh mi as well, way better than T&N but much different than Lulu B's.  Oh yeah, this place is cheap.  Dinner for $7.00 and I was pretty stuffed.  The only down side, because of construction I couldn't get back on 183 and had to sit on the congested feeder FOREVER!  Oh well.

THANH NHI
Vietnamese Restaurant & Sandwich
9200 N. Lamar Blvd. #104
Austin, TX 78753
(512) 834-1736

On a side note- I am officially registered for the Bun Run 5K on May 1st!  Woo!  Now to get off my butt and start running.  I'm hoping this will help me lose the last ten pounds I need to lose so I can reach my goal weight.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Love thanh nhi. Baguette House still has my favorites, but they're even further north!

    Best of luck with the 5k!

    ReplyDelete