Thursday, July 5, 2012

Homemade Spaetzle and Pot Roast


Both sides of my family are from Germany, so growing up there were many German dishes that were regulars in our meals.  Herring, rotkohl, roladen and spaetzle were some of my favorite foods.  My mom would always make a huge steaming bowl of spaetzle as side dish whenever we had post roast or anything with gravy.  Last week Brandon requested pot roast for dinner, so I thought I would try my hand at making spaetzle.

Spaetzle is kind of a cross between a noodle and a dumpling.  You start off by making a batter that is thicker than pancake batter but not quite as thick as dough.  Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil.  To make the spaetzle you will need a spaetzle maker, or a potato ricer with a interchangeable plate.  I have a ricer that has two plates, one with tiny holes and one with slightly larger holes.  I used the one with larger holes.  Load the ricer up with batter and slowly squeeze it out over the pot of boiling water.  The noodles only take a few minutes to cook, when they float to the top they are done.  These make a great substitute to mashed potatoes or pasta, and they taste amazing the next day fried up with a little butter and some onions.  There are a lot of recipes online, most are the same; a combination of flour, milk and eggs.  I used my moms tried and true recipe however which is 4 eggs, 3 cups of flour, 1 cup of milk or water and salt.  So good, so simple!









1 comment: